Please read this notice and scroll to the bottom of the page to complete the form. Click “submit” to send it to the bank. You may wish to print this page for your records.
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
Regulations imposed by Congress impact all consumers. These regulations give each consumer a choice on how to manage their accounts.
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or overdraft protection line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We may authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We cannot authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if Farmers & Merchants Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $35 each time we pay an overdraft.
- Also, if your account is overdrawn for 5 or more consecutive business days, we will charge an additional $5 per day.
- All overdrafts should be repaid immediately.
There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
What if I want Farmers & Merchants Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and every day debit card transactions?
Effective August 15th, 2010, unless you request this specific overdraft coverage, we will not be allowed to pay overdrafts and assess a fee for ATM or ever day debit card transactions.
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and every day debit card transactions complete this form and click “Submit”. You may want to print this page for your records.
You may call us toll-free at 866-859-9465 or visit any of our branches for more information; click here for locations.